Your Advocate In Children’s Issues
When separating from a spouse or partner, a common question our clients ask is “Who will get custody?” At the firm of Gumm & Green, LLP, we have the experience, legal knowledge and skill to address all of your child custody issues. Contact us today for a free, no- obligation consultation. From the very simple, to the very complex, we handle it all.
Understanding Custody Mediation
In California, the courts make a determination of custody. The steps taken to determine a child custody arrangement or parenting plan depend on the county you live in.
In Ventura County, child custody mediation is mandatory.
- The mediator helps each parent discuss the issues and work out an agreement, which is then reported to the judge.
- Following no arguments, the agreement is put into the final divorce settlement.
- Mediation is preferable to litigation because the parents decide the outcome of the arrangement rather than letting a judge decide who knows little about the family.
- In LA County, parents go through the conciliation process to determine a child custody arrangement. There is no recommendation to the judge.
- The court only gets involved if an agreement cannot be reached by the parents.
At Gumm & Green, LLP, we will help you understand exactly what to expect during your child custody dispute. We will work closely with you to represent and protect the best interests of your children.
Why You Might Need A Child Custody Evaluation
No matter which county you live in, the court can order a child custody evaluation in order to help develop a parenting plan.
- A psychologist specializing in this area makes a recommendation to the judge based on interviews with the parents, evaluation of the household and other factors.
- The judge then uses this recommendation to form a child custody arrangement.
- If the evaluator determines any immediate risk to a child, we can file an emergency ex-parte motion to grant sole custody to the non-risk parent immediately.
Get What Is Best For Your Child
You want what is best for your children, now and in the future. Work with an attorney who is skill and experienced to find the best resolution. Contact Gumm & Green, LLP, today to schedule a free consultation. We can discuss your child custody case and help you make informed decisions. Call 818-707-4233 OR 855-707-4233.