We Understand What Is Required In Cases With Children With Special Needs
For decades, Gumm & Green, LLP has represented many clients with cases in family law and court involving special needs children.
Representing our clients’ with children who have special needs involves knowing the various categories of those needs and what will serve their best interest.
Our skilled and caring family law attorneys help families with children who:
- Have life-threatening medical conditions
- Autism or autism spectrum disorders (Asperger’s Syndrome)
- Psychological or behavioral disorders.
We recognize the unique challenges that exist in special needs family law litigation as well as in a collaborative family law context.
The Importance Of An Assessment
We understand the issues relating to physical custody disputes and legal custody involving special needs children that include out of home placement, IEP issues in the school districts, IPP programs for clients of the Los Angeles County Regional Center and Tri County Regional Center in Ventura County.
We also know that both parents do not always agree with the special assessments for the child or are in denial about what programs serve the child’s best interest who have special needs.
A Minor’s Counsel
The court may appoint a minor’s counsel for the child, who will have expertise with the child’s special needs. Minor’s counsel can help the court decide what is in the child’s best interest and which parent is better able to help the child. This firm has worked with both court appointed minor’s counsel and child custody evaluators in family law litigation involving children with special needs.
Special Needs And Additional Support
- Child support is another important area for children with special needs. The laws support additional child support to address funds for special educational, medical or other special needs of the children.
- At Gumm & Green, LLP we have a team of professionals at our disposal as resources for referrals if there are special needs trusts or funds that are earmarked for special needs children after the conclusion of the family law litigation or mediation.
- Working with an attorney who does not have special needs case experience can severely jeopardize one’s family law case.
Contact Gumm & Green, LLP to find out how our extensive experience and legal knowledge of issues that affect children can help your family. Or call 818-707-4233 OR 855-707-4233. We serve families in Thousand Oaks and the surrounding LA County area.