Aggressive Advocates With Over 50 years Of Combined Experience

Proven Experience In Guardianship

Learn more about obtaining guardianship over a minor or incapacitated adult with the goal of providing for his or her protection and support.

Contact Gumm & Green, LLP, in Westlake Village, California, for more information and a free consultation with our guardianship lawyers. Call 818-707-4233 OR 855-707-4233.

Attaining Power Of Attorney

Generally speaking, a guardian is responsible to their ward for providing financial management, education, health care, food, clothing and shelter, and protection. He or she may also make decisions on behalf of the ward’s well-being. Guardianship can be terminated by the court if determined to be in the ward’s best interests, in contrast to adoption.

A guardianship grants legal responsibility for a minor child or incapacitated adult to a guardian. Some common situations in which guardianships may become necessary are terminal illness, death or other unavailability of one or both parents. Approval of a living biological parent is required under most circumstances.

The Three Types Of Guardianships

Under California law, there are three types of guardianships:

  1. Guardianship of a person including a child or children
  2. Guardianship of an estate
  3. Guardianship of a person and estate

The different types exist in recognition of the fact that people have different capacities and thus different levels of need for assistance from guardians.

The Process of Petitioning For Guardianship

To obtain a guardianship, a petition must be filed in the probate court and in the court of the relevant county. The cases can be transferred to Family court if an objection to the guardianship is filed.

  • Composed of numerous forms, background checks and a potential home visit from a social worker, the process of obtaining guardianship can be incredibly complex.
  • Having the assistance of an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer can make a difference in the success of your petition.

Find out how we can help you obtain power of attorney. Our over 50 years of combined experience and aggressive approach to family law have worked well for our clients. Contact Gumm & Green, LLP, today and schedule a free consultation. Call 818-707-4233 OR 855-707-4233.